Three Months in LA

I have now been home in LA for THREE MONTHS. and it’s hard to believe that so much time has passed! Since being back, I have had many new discoveries about my career, my passions and within myself.
I have to be honest, the adjustment was far more difficult that I anticipated. Not only had I grown so accustomed to the life I lead in Japan, but I also was not willing to be open to the new opportunities that awaited me here in California with a positive heart. I let FEAR rule me, and the fear that perhaps I was not as talented/prepared as I once was. The truth of it all came down to ONE THING: Not being PRESENT. I was still “living” thousands of miles away, even though I was residing in America once again. My soul yearned for the comfort of familiarity of Asia, that took me 10 months to achieve. And I missed it.
Everything changed one day though- I remember it specifically. I had been in America for about a month, and I felt a need for something NEW. So, I started to brainstorm. Almost immediately I thought of the Groundlings Improv School that I had heard so much about. I began to do some research, and made the decision to attend an audition that was being held to enter their training program. It was a brave move, since I had never even considered that i could be accepted into such a prestigious school, but I went for it anyway! The process was nerve-wracking, as I was doing brand new exercises with a group I had never met before. Although I have been doing Improv since I was a 10 years old, this was a whole different ballgame. But, despite the insecurity I felt, I didn’t give up and I had a very good time auditioning. At Groundlings there are different ways to get accepted, and usually after the initial audition, they require you to take one of their beginner workshops before advancing to the BASIC level. I was expecting to get that information in the email, since I felt so rusty... but, I PASSED and was asked to begin the Basic Course! I was thrilled. Already, I have learned so much in this class, and have grown so close to our group. The teaching is so active, fun and character based, which is what I like to do most of all. The method is full of heightened emotion as well, and having trained at the Actor’s Gang with Tim Robbins, this ability comes quite easily in the exercises.
Now, up until I began training at the Groundlings, I was going to MANY auditions. Film, Commercial, Theater, you name it... and I wasn’t booking any of them. I was feeling so discouraged and frustrated. I began to doubt my abilities as an actor and didn’t know what I was missing. However, the first commercial audition I got AFTER starting training with The Groundlings, I BOOKED! And I knew then, that I had made the right choice to start training there. The main skill I’ve grown in is CONFIDENCE and RELAXATION. I now feel like I can roll with the punches and not panic, because I now have the skills to improv my way through many obstacles.
The commercial shoot was absolutely amazing, and the entire team was professional, positive and so kind. I felt like I was on Cloud 9 all day. The coolest part of it, was the fact that the director had a very specific image in mind for me- which wasn’t what I expected at all. He pulled me aside and said,
“So, as you can see there are many actors here that are super cheerful and styled in a very preppy way. I want you to be the edgy girl in this group and I want you to embrace the more hipster side of yourself.”
I was SO EXCITED. I don’t EVER get to portray this type of person, so I was ready for the challenge. The makeup artist began to paint on a very smokey eye for me, and made my hair wild and crazy. It was SO FUN. I learned that day to never place myself in a box of “can only play super girly and sweet characters.” Because you never know what vision the director has in mind!
Another milestone was FINALLY auditioning for two of the biggest musical theater companies in southern California- 3D Theatricals and Musical Theatre West yesterday. and BOY, did it feel wonderful! In the past I would sometimes feel so nervous to audition and would usually leave the room feeling alittle low. But, yesterday I applied all of the lessons I’ve learned about being honest, open and real as a performer and I felt extremely positive and happy about the work I put forward. Even if I don’t book these specific shows, I am looking forward to going back again and presenting an even better side of myself.
Despite the struggles I’ve faced with all the changes around me, I am finally feeling grounded and once again in love with my city. The opportunities are ENDLESS, and i feel so blessed to live in a beautiful place, following my DREAM. I am focusing on the good that I experience each day, and how to celebrate each victory, no matter how small.

Thanks for reading!
-Monica

Comments

Popular Posts